Hello Friends!!! Wow. That sums up the weekend. Wow.
Let's see where to start. The week seemed to be of normal events. Laundry. Post Office. Daily walks. But Wednesday...was an Ah-Ha moment..as Oprah would put it. The guys were working late all week...so we could have Thursday off. I got up Wed. and realized, I have a ton to do today. So I got showered went downstairs for breakfast. and off I went. I had a to-do list. Drop off laundry, P.U. laundry...bank.....post office....pharmacy for shampoo and things for the trip...grocery store for a few car munchies. Davina's new garden furniture would be arriving today, so she invited me to stop by. I knew I wanted to take something for her "housewarming"..so off to the kitchen store to browse. Surprisingly, I was in there probably longer than I needed...you know how I love kitchen stores!! Selected a gift, and it was off to walk to Davina's. On this walk, as I stopped at a little street store for a water, I looked at my bags in hand and thought..."I must look quite like I live here". Well... I guess I do!!! Temporarily, of course. Kinda an ah-ha. I think I have adapted quite well. Who would have thought???? Got to Davina's and the patio furnishings had arrived!!! I was the first "plant"!!! LOL (Sorry Garry!!) Now, Davina was recovering from a horrible bout with food-poisoning. She was on the mends, thankfully. We sipped water, chatted and just chilled out. What a nice relaxing time!!! I did not want to wear out my welcome....so I left her to rest, and off to the hotel I ventured. I still needed to pack up everything so the hotel could store what we didn't need for the weekend.The guys got in about 730. Dinner/snacks in the lounge...off to bed.
Thursday morn. Breakfast at 8. Last minute packing. Checkout and away we go!!!!!! The drive to Aqaba, Jordan is about 4 1/2 hours. Take a look at a map. I am learning so much about the geography. The drive.....as I was told......was the easy part. We arrived at the Israel/Jordan border..ready for a long exit/entrance process.


Now.. if you are up on the current Israel/Jordan relations. They pretty much keep to themselves. Kinda a "you stay on your side.. we will stay on our side". But. Driving an Israeli rental car across the border....not such a good idea. So we park in this lot on the Israel side....and walk across the border. But first.. show your passport. Pay your "leaving Israel taxes". New line. Show your passport to another person. They take it... go to next window get your entrance visa. Get passport. Xray luggage. Show the xray tech your passport and visa. Get an "Ok to enter Jordan" slip. Walk about 1/4 mile through no man's land to the Jordan border. (This is very busy with pedestrians going both ways). Show them your passport. Scan luggage again. (You are seeing a pattern..right???) Get into Jordan!!! Now...hail a taxi for the drive to the hotel. Arrive at the hotel...haggle over taxi price.We have arrived at the Inter Continental Aqaba, Jordan!!!! ( About 7 hours total trip now...)

This is the view out of the hotel window. That is the Red Sea you see there. Unpack.....time for some beach time!!! Met up with Rob (Scott's boss), and Price (a co-worker). Just me and the guys again!!! The beach bar announced we were in Happy Hour. Awesome...ordered a bucket of Corona's for the group...grabbed a cabana......life is good. We chatted and relaxed and put together a plan for the weekend. First...meet in the Club Lounge upstairs at 700. Snacks and refreshments!!! Then to the downstairs the place called Martini's. We were stuffed soo....just liquids!!

Pics of the outdoor lounge...a beautiful night... but a tad chilly. So we had one of those tall patio heaters brought over and the best customer service host brought me and lovely pashima to wear. Now that's customer service!! A great evening!!!!! Very relaxing times with some great people and a great environment. There was a lounge act we could see through the glass. Not bad. A belly dancer came next...very pretty. Not tacky at all!!! Ahhh... to be thin again!!!! ;)

We called the evening. After all we had a long day tomorrow. A car and driver would be arriving at 9. We would drive to Petra which is about 1 1/2 away. It is supposed to be a gorgeous day. Glad I brought my hat and sunscreen!! Arrived in the room to find sweets and chocolates. Lights out. Exhausting....but a great day!!!!
After breakfast (NOT Kosher...BREAKFAST MEATS!!!) we headed out for Petra. Our driver was so nice. We needed to stop and get some Dinars...Jordanian currency. Our driver bought us an ice cream, and we enjoyed that on the beautiful drive.

I love this pic. In the states , it is common to see dogs in the back of a pick up...but in the Middle East??? Too funny

The beautiful drive to Petra. If you have looked at your map. You will see when we are in Aqaba, we can see Israel. Jordan and the Sinai Peninsula. The mountains are breath-taking. We saw herds of camels and goats all along the route. We arrived at Petra... a historical archaeological sight created around the 6th century. This was a burial site. All of the tombs and shrines were hand-carved in the sandstone. And... it is amazing!!! It took us about 1 1/2 hours to walk down through the canyons. We stopped at "The Treasury". Recognize it??? They filmed part of the last Indiana Jones movie here!!!



Don't we look like a fun group!!!! After 5 hours at Petra. We climbed back into the car and drove to the hotel. We decided after all that walking the hot tub was in order. My legs!!! Then up to the lounge...and then back to Martini's for our evening. Totally exhausted, but what an experience. I am truly counting my blessings to be seeing all these sights!!! We were up early saturday... well not me.....the guys were going scuba diving. I was "forced" to stay at the hotel.... have a late breakfast in the Club lounge....sit under a cabana and people watch... then wander to the spa for a 2 hour Dead Sea Spa Treatment. Amazing!!!!
The guys got back about 3. Showered. Checked out. and reversed the whole process of LEAVING Jordan and re-entering Israel. Long drive. Late night. Back in our room at the Crown Plaza Haifa at 1030.
So it's Sunday/Monday as we call it..... first day of the work week. Time for the "normal" life for a few days. Haven't decided where we are going this weekend. We may go back to Tel Aviv.
Life is good, my Friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment