Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Touring the Countryside...
So... Tuesday ...we walked around downtown Florence. Took the bus to get there from the hotel. Praying we were on the right bus, we jumped in. We got a little nervous about how far we had gone and got off. Actually, we were 2 stops away from where we wanted to be!! Not too bad!! What a beautiful city. It was a bit chilly...a little damp in the air. But, who cares when you are in Italy!!! So many beautiful buildings. We stopped at the Mercato Centrale, where you could buy anything your heart desired!!! Especially great cheeses and meats. Although, souvenirs, clothes trinkets and such were in abundance. We saw Bascilicas, museums and tons of shopping. I couldn't leave Italy without getting something leather, right?? Of course!! Lunch was in a small cafe, where we had a wood fired pizza. decided to go back to the hotel and change before the wine tasting. Now...getting back on the right bus was a bit of an ordeal.....but fun!! We decided to take a taxi to the tasting. We were met by our host, Vittori, where he escorted us through his elaborate home. We walked into a formal dining room where many, many wine glasses were placed on the table. Another couple would be joining us. They were from Thailand. What fun they were!! I soon learned this was not just a wine tasting...but how to taste wines!! We tasted 5 Tuscany Chianti wines.....which...were FABULOUS!!
Note to my sister.... I am a HUGE red wine fan now!!! She is a happy camper ;) This guy was amazing. I learned so much... Can't wait to pair that with the cooking i have learned!!
Today we had breakfast and headed on our 1 hour drive to Pisa. After all.....if I am this close. I have to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa!! What an amazing sight. I just stared at it. Took tons of pics...which I will post tomorrow. After a quick bite there and some shopping....we started the 2 1/2 hour drive to Montepulciano. This tiny town way up in the mountains.....is THE MOST picturesque place. I found this 6 room B&B in the center of town. It's quaint and full of charm. Gio and Ivana our hosts, are so sweet. The room is very clean, well kept with a view that is killer. Of course there are vineyards everywhere. But did YOU know why vineyards are on hillsides here? Learned this at the tasting.... Chianti wines are made with San Giovese (i need to ck spelling....but cant get spell ck to cooperate!) grapes. A wine....with a Chianti label... has to be at least 80% of these grapes. I also learned much of the GOOD chianti wines never reach the states. Well...that's rude!! ;) But these grapes have to grow on a hillside because the grapes are big....and very compact on the cluster. Without the wind to get in between...they could mold!! Fascinating.
We walked around the cobblestone streets..that seem like time forgot. Found some places to ck out tomorrow. The sidewalks seem to roll up at dusk.....and any place to eat doesn't open till 7:00!!! Had dinner at a small bistro, I had Zuppa Tuscan. Tuscan soup...YUM!! The week is going too fast. Gotta learn how to slow time down!!! Talk to you tomorrow.... I'm beat. This vaca stuff is exhausting!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment