When I last blogged, we had left Florence. This is a pic from our wine tasting class. We learned that the Italians do not just "drink" their wine. Wine is meant to be enjoyed WITH their food. And is bottled appropriately for that purpose. At the testing, we did a couple experiments.. Vittori would have us taste a wine, then taste it again with a particular food or cheese. Amazing how the young wines with a cheese aged only 30 days, just exploded in your mouth with flavor. When we tried the reserved wine, and he served us 6 month aged parmesan infused with white truffles. Oh my!! Heaven on a plate!!! Now I also understand why very little of the good Italian wines make it out of the country!!!
The beautiful Leaning Tower of Pisa. It sits in the middle of a square, in the middle of a busy little town. I suppose one could take it for granted if you lived there. They were just finishing a facelift and cleaning. It has taken the better part of 5 years. It sure is amazing. I loved how at the feet of this tower, rich with history and known worl-wide, local college kids were laying on the grass..studying, sleeping and chatting with friends. I guess it's how one lives their life in the heart of Pisa!!
Does the picture below of the beautiful stone church look familiar to some of you??? Although, I have not seen it...the movie "New Moon", part of the Twilight series was fimed right here!!! They are very proud of this. In a few cafes.. you see a red cape...like the one Bella wore hanging on a coat rack!I just can't imagine how the film crews got all of their equipment up these streets!!
Thursday, we signed for a tour of 2 local wineries in the heart of the area. Polizano being the biggest one. Lots of great info on wines and wine tasting again. Loved their wines so much we shipped a case!! Although we were told, that even though these were 2007 wines...they would be even better in 10 years!!! Can't wait!! One of the wines we choose, they said would be great with American BBQ. Sounds good to me. After that was mentioned...I could smell a smokiness in the wine. I can't wait to try that combination. Dinner that evening was in the most elegant establishment in Montepulciano. The opening of the the wine bottle was done with such artistry. Done properly, I imagine, it was their job to insure the wine was appropriate to driking before serving. Another choreographed ballet of pouring, sniffing, and tasting. I felt very pampered. Scott ordered a lamb dish with lamb served 2 ways. Magnificent!!! I had the chicken served with wild mushrooms and a garlic sauce that was incredible. A vegetable risotto accompanied each dish. For dessert I had apple crepes served with, I think, an apple sorbet!! Scott had an Italian cake served with an ice cream.....remember that..ice cream made from parmesan and gorgonzola cheese. Very interesting.
So...my Italian vacation is over. But the adventures still continue. Plenty more things to do and see right here in Israel. But till the next time...Ciao Bella!!
No comments:
Post a Comment