Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Time is Flying...

I am sorry I haven't written in a few days. I can't believe how fast this trip is going!!! Let's see where to begin......

   Thursday afternoon, I was to check out after 3 and a car was coming to get me at 330 to take me to where Scott works. Well.. remember MY cell phone does not work here, sooooo no way to get a hold of him unless I email or SKYPE. I checked out of my room early...I was a little excited about the weekend in Tel Aviv. I went downstairs to checkout, and it was a flurry!! See...I had packed all the stuff to store here at the hotel, brought it down then headed back up to get what was going with me. I decided to stop in the lounge and found Natalie--Customer Service Manager and Friend, and Davina there. We chatted for a bit. But by the time I got back downstairs ..Scott had been calling the hotel looking for me!!!  Evidently they had gotten kicked out of the Fab around 2, and could leave early!! All was good....the car arrived about 3. Got to meet up with the guys...and the adventure begins!!

We arrived in tel Aviv about 5. Checked into the Intercontinental Hotel and met up with the other carload who went..but they were staying at the Crown Plaza down the beach. We decided to eat at Mike's Place. An American bar/eatery with hot wings, fajitas, and PHILLY CHEESE STEAKS!!! The beverages flowed and had a great time ( me and the 4 guys) using the cell phone app SHAZAM to identify songs playing...all old school 70/80 rock....and singing like it was karaoke!! The guys wanted to hit the cigar bar at our hotel...fine with me...I'm a team player...but uh.. no cigars for me!!  ;)

Friday was a relaxing day. Lunch at this GREAT Italian place called Rustico. The Fillet Penne with porcini mushrooms was amazing!! Great wine..bread with olive oil dipping. A great lunch. We went to Old Jaffa since a couple of the guys had never been there. The wind was horrible!! But even with my ears hurting like anything...we took refuge in the little cafe Jappo. Thank goodness we did!!! It was not the best day to be outside which we would have been but luckily we were entertained by the bartender. Great conversations about the Middle East, Israel....good times.

The pic is of the fountain on Old Jaffa. BUT.... the bad weather arrived and a downpour began. Now to race around to get taxis back to the 2 hotels. I was soaked!!! We changed and met at a place called Mesa. 2 restaurants in one. A black side....darker..bar scene..but VERY upscale. The white side..very formal..candelabras. We had reservations in the Black Bar. Not your typical bar food. Crab gnocchi, sea bass with a salt crust, ravioli stuffed with shallots. But good!!!! Then back to the cigar bar.

Saturday was breakfast, then check out and head to Jerusalem. I know the history....... I understand the religious ties...did NOT expect the overwhelming emotional toll that was to come. Scott's boss, Rob, has been here several times, so he took the role of tour guide. Very informative.

This is the West Wall. The Wailing Wall. Separate areas for the men and the women. Now.. we are visiting on the sabbath. So we could not get any closer with the cameras, but I was on a mission. I left the guys and went to the women's area of the wall. You are not supposed to put any notes in the wall on the sabbath..but I thought I would give it a try. I had a very specific prayer I need to put in there. I placed my hand on the wall and just began to think, talk, pray...whatever I felt I need to say. Tradition is after you say your prayer you walk backwards for a bit as to "not turn your back on the prayer". I met back up with the guys and it hit me. A flood of emotions....couldn't tell you exactly what it all was specifically...just a huge release. The other guys in the group were kind enough to let me just explode on Scott...while they moved away to give us some space. Emotionally drained.... we moved on. We had a bite at the Austrian Hospice, mmmm, spatezele. Yum!! Now for the Stations of the Cross and the Church of the Holy Sephclure.





What a day!!! Loved it. Got back about 630. It was St Patty's Day, you know. Went over to Alterman's (Irish Pub)  where..yes..I ordered Fish and Chips. We all were exhausted but a great weekend.

So that brings us to the week.. The guys are all working late every night so they can take off on Thursday. I had some errands to run... mailing postcards for Yann, from China...and Ivan from Singapore....laundry...the usual.Dinner at Giraffe--Asian food on Sunday night. Their Sezchuan Beef is wonderful!! Thursday morning we are leaving for Aqaba, Jordan. I have heard it is beautiful there. If it works out......we are going to Petrah on Friday. I'll fill you all in after the trip.

The air is "foggy" today. I say "foggy" because it isn't fog. It's dust. Dust storms. The winds are coming in from Iraq/Iran....desert. Fun. You can smell the sand/dirt in the air. Well...I have to get into town. Enjoy your day...thanks for stopping by. Love you all!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment