Friday, February 10, 2012

Time to Get Away

    Since Friday and Saturdays are the weekend in Israel. We decided to get out of Haifa and head to Tel Aviv...about an hour south of Haifa. We reserved a room at the David InterContinental. What a place!!  We decided to come in Thursday night as opposed to Friday for.....well... basically Scott says the non Sabbath breakfast is 10000 times better ( and even the Sabbath breakfast isn't bad either).  He was right!!  Breakfast was a HUGE buffet. Still some "strange" breakfast items.....lasagna, cheesecake, miso soup...but wonderful items like white rice...( I LOVE white rice)...bagels....tons of fresh fruits all cut up...and sweets like danishes. Aaahhhh...happy camper. After I had finished my regular cup of tea, the wonderful waiter asked if I wanted another. I said yes and off he went. When he returned from the "tea service bar" I had a steeping cup of Red Berry herbal tea. Yum!!

    After breakfast we decided to take on Tel Aviv. Typical big city. Lots of traffic and big buildings.We spent 2 1/2 hours walking through the Farmers Market. Blocks of fresh foods, herbs, (these smelled amazing) merchandise and hand crafted items. I was amazed that in the vast amount of fresh items...they all looked perfect. Beautiful colors, no blemishes..Hhhmmm.It started to spritz so we took cover at a little sidewalk cafe under an awning...enjoyed a hot cappucinno...and watched the people attend to their daily lives. When the weather cleared, we resumed our walk. It was about noon by this point, the air now filling with the Call to Worship from the synagogue located 1 block over. Found a cute little "shop" where we were ables to taste olive oils as well as pomegranate balsamic vinegar (to die for...yes 1 in the suitcase) and fig balsamic vinegar...very good. We tried some various mustards as well, to which one of those as well is packed for the States. I found a little fanny pack to use too. Grabbed a fresh hot doughnut and headed back to the hotel.

    After a couple calls to the States (hi Mom!!), we ventured out again ..1 block over is the beach.. and the Med Sea. . (Being we are on the 20th floor of the hotel..we actually have a fab view.) Took some pics and walked to Mike's Place (non-kosher). This is a VERY American food style place. True we ate fajitas.....but you won't get them here in Israel. May have to go for lunch there again tomorrow.....Philly Cheese Steaks...who can resist??? The manager at our hotel in Haifa reccommended a couple places for dinner here. We think we are going to the Italian one..Boccaccio. I'll let you know my thoughts.

    Upon arriving back to the hotel..the usual revolving door..now was fully opened and not revolving. It's Sabbath now. Can't "create" a spark or electrical movement if at all possible. So... the door will remain WIDE open till Sabbath is over on Saturday. The elevator now stops at each floor wether you want it to or not. That way you don't have to push a button and create the electrical force. The things to get use to.

   Guess I center my thoughts on food. It's just VERY different here. But.....(oohh that's a messy subject :)  lol  )... we are well. No problems we have seen or heard of. Not sure the plan for tomorrow. We are just chillin'. Love to all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment