Sunday, February 19, 2012

What a weekend!!

Even though it is Sunday...the work week has begun here. Had an incredible couple of days. Here's a recap.

    Thursday night. Met Scott up in the lounge to grab some light munchies. Went to a wine tasting (Free!!) at 8:30pm. Boy, I wasn't prepared for this experience!! We entered the wine shop and they directed us upstairs. There, in the loft, were several tables all set with silverware, water/wine glasses, plates, and wonderful fresh sliced breads with butter. All in all, we ended up with about 30 people at this tasting!! As we settled in for a nice evening, they passed around the wine list we would be tasting from. 10 Portuguese wines!! As the speaker, a very nice man and owner of the shop, began to speak...Scott and I looked at each other like deer in a headlight. IT WAS ALL GOING TO BE DONE IN HEBREW!!  We had to laugh. Luckily, a nice man sitting next to me, must have seen our look and asked if we understood any Hebrew. We said, not a word. He then began translating the high points for us.  I learned there are 12 types of grapes in Portugal. I also learned that they do not use any wood barrels in their process. We tasted 2 whites...didn't care for either. Then started on the reds, which I found very good. He added a couple more wines to the list..making it now 12 we tasted!!! That's a lot of wine...they were quite generous. We tasted a wide range of price points which included one for 400 shekels. About $125. Of course, this was our favorite....sigh. ;)  The tasting also included 3 port wines which were very interesting. About 3/4 of the way through the tasting, they passed around plates of sliced cheeses. WONDERFUL!! Had to get some for the room at the end of the tasting. They do a wine tasting every Thursday night. Can't wait to go back!!

    Friday began as a wet, dreary day. We had to pick up our laundry and do an errand in town. Then decided to head for one of the malls in the area. A 3-story mega mall with maybe only 1 or 2 store names I understood!! Of course parking was a challenge. The garage is under the mall and when we entered, they handed us what looked like a scratch off lottery ticket. I guess our confused look told them they needed to explain. But all he said was "to find your car when you leave". Huh??  We can only assume that you scratch off the row and slot number as a reminder. Crazy. When we got back to the hotel, we had forgotten to pick up some water bottles..so off to town again we walked. Unfortunately, the skies opened up and we were soaked!!  Took refuge in a video store along with a couple of other to wait it out. But after 20 min we figured we were wet anyway and made a break for it. Went to the store , got the water. Then, had a hot drink..I am really getting into this hot apple cider thing.. while we prepared for the wet walk back!!

    Saturday we decided to drive to the Arabic town..I forgot the name.  After all, nothing would be open here in town due to the Sabbath.  Went to this tiny store where they sold handmade silk table runners, scarves, embroidered tablecloths, etc. His wife actually does the weaving. These were gorgeous. I mean GORGEOUS!! The store owner was hysterical. He would pat my arm and say.."Follow me", "Stand here", "Feel this". Too funny.  He sent his daughter next door to get us coffee. Now, I am NOT a coffee drinker, but wanted to be respectful. I drank it. Bleck!!  ;) So, I started my pile of treasures to take back to the states. Scott has been to this store before..so he just stood back and let me browse. I guess we are good customers..he added 2 extra place mats and a handmade ceramic sugar jar for free!!  We paid for our items and left. I will go back. Even if it's to say hi. Wonderful people. I meant to take a pic of the items. I will tonight and post it tomorrow. Came back here to find a Bat Mitzvah going on the the ballroom!!  Pretty!! Headed up to the lounge again. Had a couple "beverages" then decided we would walk to the Bear Pub for Fish and Chips. Sat there and talked. Great night!!

    We made our reservations for the Dead Sea next weekend. That will be fun. Glad we didn't go to Jerusalem this weekend...it snowed!!!  First time in like 5 years. I definitely didn't bring clothes to wear in the snow!!

  It's Sunday-Monday...off to the laundromat and the bank. Less than 2 weeks till Italy!!!!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment