Monday, February 27, 2012

Where do I begin????



Hey Friends!!!  I had an absolutely fabulous weekend. Let me fill you in. If you remember, a car was coming to get me on Thurs. I got to Scott's work just fine! Although, I do admit climbing into a car with someone you don't know...who doesn't speak English...going to a place you have NO CLUE where it is...can be a bit un-nerving....but oh well! We left there, we were in Migdal HaEmek--if you are looking at a map, and headed towards the Dead Sea. We stopped for dinner at this steakhouse called Limousine's. Excellent. The ride to the Dead Sea was about 2 1/2 hours across the country. Israel is about the size of New Jersey...not too bad. If you know your geography, the Dead Sea is 1388 ft below sea level. So that means DOWN a long and winding mountain. Friday we went exploring in the car drove along the Sea till we got to the West Bank border....decided to turn around! Probably wouldn't have had a problem but.... Went back to the hotel, sat in the beautiful lobby for a bit, had a great dinner and called it a day.  Saturday we drove to The Masada. A fortress built by King Herod, about 1300 feet up on the mountain. It's a fascinating history. Look it up!!

The cable cars are how you get to the top. There are trails to walk up. The day we were there they were having a race up the mountain. The winner did the mountain in 12 minutes. WOW.
It was a beautiful view of the Sea from up there. Came off of the mountain and  began the journey back to Haifa. Driving up the mountain in the day light gave us the chance to see the beautiful views that we missed coming in.




Of course...one wouldn't be in the Middle East without seeing a Camel Crossing sign. I had to laugh. And to back it up .....Nomads along the mountain road, herding camels. Now I bet you don't see that every day where you are!!!

  So Sunday was  first day of the work week, I did the usual erands. We did get a surprise! We were able to get tickets to the home futbol (soccer for us Americans) game here in Haifa. Maccabi Haifa was playing Beitar Jerusalem. We can see the stadium lights from the hotel. I admit we were a little nervous, but went anyway. They are quite passionate about their soccer here, for sure! We stayed through the first half. Haifa had scored and the Jerusalem fans weren't too happy. Good thing. We watched the rest of the game at the hotel, only to watch police hauling Jerusalem fans in handcuffs!!  Sidenote..Haifa won! The Jerusalem team was actually staying here in the hotel. But they went back home after the game.

  Well, time to go pick up the laundy. And figuring out what I am packing for Friday. Have a great week. Thank you for being so supportive!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment