Monday, February 6, 2012

You wouldn't want to be a postman here!!

    In the crowded city of Haifa....I have found a new appreciation for the front yard. Here... most people live in high rise apartments. Houses are very uncommon and VERY expensive when you do find them. The hotel we are in is 16 floors. We are on the lobby level..which is actually the 9th floor. Haifa consists of MANY hills. The lobby door does meet the street...but the hotel is built into a hill. So... out my window, the back of the hotel...I see the long way down. Crazy.

    On our walk to dinner last night....I noticed several staircases leading off the streets and winding down...down...down. On the railing was a sign.....with a numbers and writing. Of course its in Hebrew. I asked what it was. Since property is such a commodity here, many people have addresses off of stairwells off the street. I looked over the cliff and there they were several small, and I mean small "huts" where people live. And more than likely, several generations living together. I bet the postmen are in great shape here!!!

    Of course the crowding spills over to the drivers here. They are good drivers..just drive very fast and use their horns..a lot. Parking is a crisis. Which I guess why parking on the sidewalks is  the common thing. And those mopeds?? Yeah...they drive on the sidewalks too. Ugh....

    If you have read the other blogs, I mentioned a breakfast item I couldn't quite pinpoint.(I called it hot gazpacho...I wasnt too far off) It is a small individual dish of ..well..stewed tomatoes with a fried egg floating on it. This morning I surprised to see their take on fettucini alfredo. Not bad....but it didn't feel right eating it for breakfast. Never a dull moment. I enjoyed 2 glasses of fresh squeezed oj. Can't get more fresh-squeezed than this. I cut the oranges..placed them in the hand press and made my own oj. YUM!! The croissants are delicious..especially due to the fact they cover the tops with a sticky sweet glaze. I'm wired for the day.

   I do have to admit, I like the European influence. After every meal your waitstaff brings you a wet towelette to wipe your hands. In the nicer establishments, they come heated. Aaahhhhhh.....

    Thanks for stopping by. I'm having a once in a lifetime experience. And I love sharing it with you.  If there are questions or things you want to know...PLEASE leave a comment and ask!!  I never have had a problem talking!!!  lol

  

No comments:

Post a Comment